Australia clarify Smith’s ‘cover’ role after group stage World Cup exit

Home » Match News » Australia clarify Smith’s ‘cover’ role after group stage World Cup exit

Australia clarify Smith's 'cover' role after group stage World Cup exit

Australia selector Tony Dodemaide clarified Steve Smith's role was only as "cover" in the squad, following widespread criticism over their first-round exit from the 2026 T20 World Cup.

For the first time since 2009, Australia failed to progress past the opening round, suffering a shock loss to Zimbabwe and being outclassed by Sri Lanka.

Dodemaide said the failure will be "fully analysed" after a "really disappointing" campaign.

Part of the criticism has focused on Smith's role in the squad. He was officially added, and then Australia crashed out. Their final fixture against Oman is his only chance to potentially feature.

Dodemaide made it clear Smith's role from the start was to act as cover. "We see him primarily as at the top and that's where he's come into the squad as cover for that area," he said.

Smith was initially called in as cover for Mitchell Marsh, who missed the first two matches due to a groin injury. Marsh returned for the third game, by which time Smith had been added as a replacement for the injured Josh Hazlewood.

"He was only really available for game three," said Dodemaide, "which was the game that we had our best performed pairing, which is Marsh and Travis Head, who did extremely well."

Against Sri Lanka, the pair hit rapid fifties, putting on 104 in 8.2 overs, but the rest of the lineup couldn't capitalise, with the team finishing on 181.

Currently, no Australian is among the top 30 run-getters in the tournament. Matt Renshaw, their top-scorer, was dropped to make space for Marsh against Sri Lanka. This adds to their already weakened pace attack, missing Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, and the retired Mitchell Starc.

Among the critics was Mark Waugh, who called Smith's non-selection an "insult."

"I think the whole campaign was doomed from the get go with selection issues and injuries," Waugh said. "To me, the non-selection of Steve Smith in the squad originally is the most baffling non-selection I can remember for ages."

The case for Smith's inclusion grew after a prolific BBL 2025/26 season, where he hit 299 runs at an average of 59.80 and a strike-rate of 167.97, including a century and two fifties.

Separately, the decision to drop Matt Renshaw and retain Cam Green for the Sri Lanka game left Matthew Hayden unimpressed.

"Green has just looked awful with the bat," Hayden told BBC Test Match Special. "He looks woody, he looks tinny, he looks like he's just a man with no confidence."

His long-time teammate Glenn McGrath also questioned all-rounder Green's selection over Smith's batting.

"If he's not bowling, then what the selectors are saying is that he's a better player than Steve Smith. If he's not bowling, I just can't see how he justifies a spot in that side," McGrath said.

Dodemaide insisted a review will be done once they return home.

"It's really disappointing the way the tournament has rolled out," he admitted. "But we will need some time, and take some time, once we finish our last commitment – it's important that we finish strongly on Friday against Oman – then we'll get back and analyse it fully."



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Abhishek’s hat-trick of ducks: India’s unexpected hiccup highlights a deeper pattern
Abhishek's hat-trick of ducks: India's unexpected hiccup highlights a deeper pattern Predicting that Abhishek Sharma's
Dube’s death-overs batting fuels India’s fourth win on the bounce
Dube's death-overs batting fuels India's fourth consecutive win For a period on Wednesday evening at