Afghanistan refugee women's team set for England tour under ECB initiative
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will host an Afghanistan Refugee Women's Team for a tour beginning on June 22. The programme includes T20 matches, high-performance training, and is delivered in partnership with the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and the MCC Foundation. The players will also attend the final of the ICC Women's T20 World Cup 2026 at Lord's on July 5.
The squad comprises former Afghanistan women cricketers who had to leave the country following the Taliban's return to power in August 2021, after which women were excluded from sport. Many players resettled in Australia, where they continued playing cricket. An Afghanistan women's team previously played a 'Cricket Without Borders XI' in January 2025 ahead of the Women's Ashes Test.
The ECB said the tour aims to provide competitive opportunities and reaffirm cricket's commitment to inclusivity. "Since being displaced in 2021, these players have shown extraordinary resilience in continuing their cricket journeys," said Clare Connor, ECB Deputy CEO and Managing Director of England Women. "We have worked with It's Game On to build an itinerary that we hope will be enjoyable and memorable."
The relocation and support of players has been facilitated by It's Game On, a global sports consultancy co-founded by former Australia cricketer Mel Jones, Emma Staples, and Dr Catherine Orway. Jones played a pivotal role in helping players relocate to Australia.
"This tour is a major step forward, but also highlights how much work remains," Jones said. "These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game despite everything taken from them. They deserve more opportunities and to be recognised as part of the global cricket community."
